Re: asymmetric VS non-symmetric

Hi all,

I brought this up because I had heard of "antisymmetric" but not of "asymmetric"
and didn't know the difference.

To me a primer should explain the concept broadly, in relation to concepts I
already know, and point to where more explanation can be found. I would propose
something that is actually shorter than the current text:

"Note that asymmetry is a stronger notion than anti-symmetry as it requires that
the relationship is also irreflexive."

instead of

"Note that being asymmetric is a much stronger notion than being non-symmetric.
Likewise, being symmetric is a much stronger notion than being non-asymmetric."

(I think the 2nd sentence is not needed here as the subject is asymmetry; this
is more appropriate for the paragraph about symmetry. It also is more complex
and thus less helpful to explain asymmetry.)

Create links for the terms "asymmetry", "anti-symmetry" and "irreflexivity"
(e.g. wikipedia) and it's what I would need from a "primer".

Regards,
Mark van Assem.

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=New_Features_and_Rationale&diff=prev&oldid=25076

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=New_Features_and_Rationale&diff=prev&oldid=25052