pointing OWL 1 specs at OWL 2 specs

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:16:05 -0400
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

When people visit the OWL 1 recommendations like

    Overview
    http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/

    Semantics and Abstract Syntax
    http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/

    etc

... perhaps we'd like them be told, somehow, that OWL 2 exists.  The
best plan I've heard is to insert a note in those 2004 Recommendations
telling people about the 2009 ones.  It would look something like this
mockup I made:

    http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/draft/owl-features-revised.html

Other options include:

    - do nothing; people can find OWL 2 on their own

    - make the "latest version" URLs (which I used above) point instead
      to something else.  owl-features could point to owl2-overview, and
      owl2-overview could have TWO "Previous Version" URLS, one for the
      OWL 1 Recommendation, one for the OWL 2 Proposed Recommendation.
      The big problem with this is that for some documents, it's not
      clear what they would be updated to point to, since some OWL 1
      documents (like owl-semantics) are not replaced by exactly one
      document in OWL 2, or are not replaced at all (webont-req).  Also,
      this URL cleverness can get pretty confusing.

The people I've talked to, after some thought, seem to favor the
inserted-note approach.  It's unusual for W3C, but it has been done
before, and I think we can probably do it this time.

If anyone in the WG has strong opinions on this, please speak up now.

   -- Sandro