Re: Review of Primer

From: Markus Krötzsch <mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:09:58 +0200
To: Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>
Cc: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
On Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2009, Mike Smith wrote:
> I have completed my review of the Primer.  My full set of review
> comments can be seen in the diff at [1].  Most of my comments were
> minor editorial issues.  My comments in sections 9 (DL and Full) and
> 10 (Profiles) suggest more substantial changes.

Thanks! I would like to briefly discuss one comment:

"If you provide xml:base for RDF/XML and OWL/XML syntaxes, you could use @base
in the turtle example. Alternatively your could remove all bases"

Do you suggest to declare @base even though it is not used? My choice of using
bases, prefixes, entities, and namespaces in each syntactic form was motivated
by making examples as short and similarly looking as possible. If one would
really use @base in Turtle, one would have to write

where we now write

But the latter is closer to the FS examples and it is also shorter. So @base
could be declared but it would not be the preferred mechanism for abbreviation

Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe
phone +49 (0)721 608 7362          fax +49 (0)721 608 5998
mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de          www  http://korrekt.org