Re: Review of Primer

From: Sebastian Rudolph <rudolph@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:17:53 +0200
Cc: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>
Dear Mike,

thank you again for your efforts. Meanwhile, we have addressed your
comments (and responded to them mainly by editor's notes).

The diff

contains the editorial changes made to Sections 1 - 8.

Some more comments on Sections 9 and 10:

> Review comment from MikeSmith 01:35, 13 May 2009 (UTC) This section
> conflates DL / Full as languages and Direct / RDF as semantics. I
> think that it should be reworked to be more careful about the
> distinction. For instance, it is not clear from the text that it is
> perfectly valid to apply the RDF based semantics to an OWL 2 DL
> ontology

We have rewritten this section and we think it's much clearer now.

Diff for Section 9: <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Primer&diff=23689&oldid=23628

Note, however, that applying the RDF based semantics to an OWL 2 DL
ontology does not amount to exactly the same as applying the direct
semantics - we have also added a remark on this.

> Review comment from MikeSmith 01:49, 13 May 2009 (UTC) I suggest
> removing complexity class information and links to the literature
> (and origins) from the profile descriptions in the subsections. The
> target audience of this document does not need this level of detail,
> it is difficult to present in a way all members of the wg will
> endorse, and it is already present in the Profiles document.

We have done this, i.e. we have taken out the respective parts.

> Review comment from MikeSmith 01:38, 13 May 2009 (UTC) Previous
> comments about "allow to" apply to the preceding paragraph.

Okay and done.

Diff for Section 10: <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Primer&diff=23695&oldid=23689

Best regards

Am 13.05.2009 um 03:54 schrieb Mike Smith:

> I have completed my review of the Primer.  My full set of review
> comments can be seen in the diff at [1].  Most of my comments were
> minor editorial issues.  My comments in sections 9 (DL and Full) and
> 10 (Profiles) suggest more substantial changes.
> --
> Mike Smith
> Clark & Parsia
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Primer&diff=23495&oldid=23464

Dr. Sebastian Rudolph
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
rudolph@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de    phone +49 (0)721 608 7362
www.sebastian-rudolph.de                 fax +49 (0)721 608 5998