Re: Review of Primer

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:09:15 -0400
To: Sebastian Rudolph <rudolph@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
cc: Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>, W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

> Just a thought on your first comment:
> "The use of the word "individual" in the first sentence of the
> preceding paragraph may present problems for users new to OWL. They
> are likely to think individual refers to a single person."
>
> ...would "object" be more appropriate? Unfortunately, "entity" is
> already reserved for syntactic ontology elements and should not be used.

I quite agree with Mike that the use of "individual" like this is a
problem.  I bet anyone not already familiar with OWL jargon would read
this sentence to mean OWL is a language for describing social networks!

Other words that might be used include "elements", "items", and
"resources", but for this sentence, I'd just use "things".

This may also be a problem for the abstract, but reading the word
"individual" in the abstract as meaning "person" doesn't quite make
sense, so it's more clear that it's jargon.

      -- Sandro