LC reply drafted

From: Sebastian Rudolph <rudolph@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 21:41:27 +0200
To: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Dear all,

if I interpreted the intention of the below LC comment correctly,
Richard would like to see an explicit statement that classes just
represent sets of individuals and that the notion of a "concept" is
something related but different.
I tried to address this by adding two sentences to the Primer
document, see the diff at

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=Primer&diff=23464&oldid=23440

Find the proposed draft response at:

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/LC2_Responses/RHM1

Cheers,
  Sebastian

> From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@pioneerca.com>
> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:55:13 -0700
> To: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org
> >, <public-owl-comments@w3.org>
> Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net>, "KR-
> language" <KR-language@YahooGroups.com>
>
> I skimmed through the OWL2 overview and primer, and
> noticed that there is no definition of "Class".
>
> Since my first exposure to RDF/OWL in 2002, I had difficulty
> understanding "Class",  because I automatically thought of
> "Concept" instead.  I finally understand that
>
>         Class is the extension set of Concept.
>
> Now, all of the "strange" properties of "Class" are obvious,
> because "Class" is just a set.
>
> Specifically, the meaning of subClassOf is subset of,
> not species of.
>
> Dick McCullough
> http://mkrmke.org

Dr. Sebastian Rudolph
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
rudolph@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de    phone +49 (0)721 608 7362
www.sebastian-rudolph.de                 fax +49 (0)721 608 5998