Re: OWL naming issues

(My interpretation of the situation, Ian's may be a bit different)

Jonathan Rees wrote:
[snip]

> By 'any OWL 2 ontology' do you mean any instance of the Ontology UML class?

That is a good way of putting it, yes

> What is encompassed by 'OWL 2 - the entire language' ? E.g. would an
> OWL/XML document belong to 'OWL 2 - the entire language' ?

OWL/XML is serialization syntax so it is pretty much orthogonal to this
naming. An OWL/XML, by its very definition, can be translated into FS,
so it represents an OWL 2 Ontology.

But there are RDF graphs that use OWL 2 vocabulary terms (and for which
   the RDF semantics gives semantics) that cannot be translated into an
OWL 2 Ontology. Not many exist of those, and the requirements are
described in the 3rd section on the Structure and Syntax document. Those
RDF graphs are part of the entire language of OWL 2, but are not OWL2
Ontologies. Note that both the conformance document and the 'informal'
terminology refers to _RDF graphs_ when talking about OWL 2 Full.

Ivan

> Jonathan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153