Determining the type of an IRI for OWL 2 Full represented in structural specification

On Mar 19, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> Dear Frank,
>
> Thank you for your comment
>     <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0035.html
> >
> on the OWL 2 Web Ontology Language last call drafts.
> The Structural Specification and Functional-Style Syntax document
> was always intended as a specification of the features provided by
> OWL 2 as a whole [...]

This statement came as a big surprise to me. I had thought the
structural spec was only of interest for OWL 2 DL.

When converting OWL 2 Full to the structural specification, how does
one determine the type of each IRI occurrence? OWL 2 Full does not
require declarations, so one cannot just consult declarations. Is the
intent that an IRI be assigned a type at each occurrence in any manner
that permits the construction of correct UML instances? Or is it that
only those OWL 2 Full ontologies that provide declarations are
convertible to the structural specification?

More generally, what is the attitude toward OWL 2 Full ontologies that
have no SS representation at all?  Or does the structural
specification cover OWL 2 Full (i.e. permit representation of
arbitrary RDF graphs) in some way?

I do not understand the desire to represent OWL 2 Full in the
structural spec; I don't see how this is at all useful. It seems much
simpler to me to say that the structural spec is only intended for use
with OWL 2 DL. Then there is no need to answer annoying questions
about declarations and dialect coverage.

My apologies if this has been discussed (surely it has; but I am about
3800 messages behind in my reading). If so kindly direct me to the
correct archived email thread.

Thanks
Jonathan