Re: ambiguity in XML Schema

On 17 Mar 2009, at 12:09, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Antoine Zimmermann
>> <antoine.zimmermann@deri.org> wrote:
>>> Boris Motik a =E9crit :

>>> I agree. And for consistency, it would be reasonable to adopt this
>>> change=
>> ,
>>> IMHO.

>> nt
>>>
>>> The Bible is all about interpretation ;-)
>>
>> Hello Antoine.
>> I'd consider something of a failure if anything in our normative
>> specification is subject to interpretation. Would you not agree that
>> the bible is a rather bad example to follow if one is writing a
>> specification?
>> -Alan
>
> I believe Antoine was making a (rather funny, IMHO) joke, and perhaps
> also a point to Boris that *just* pointing to XML Schema will, in some
> cases, be a disservice to folks using our specs.

[snip]
I don't see that at all. Boris's point is simple: We can't be
criticized for deviating from XML Schema if we don't deviate. I think
this will set lots of peoples' mind at rest instead of getting into
difficult and contentious arguments.

Personally, I think it's much easier to justify a new datatype that
covers a new area (rationals and reals) than it is to justify (to the
public) mucking with the extant datatypes. And I think that's Boris's
point.

Antoine's comment *was* funny and I suggest we not take throw away
jokes as fodder for discussion.

I don't see a need to write a "how to read XML Schema" at this point.
Our texts are clear. The collective understanding of what XML Schema
means in an OWL context is *far* higher than it was before. I feel
comfortable with us going to CR with our current state of play.