proposal for bibliography handling

Here's another idea for handling the bibliography, prompted by Peter's
dislike for clicking through to the bibliography.  How about if inside
the body of the document, editors just link where they want to link:

     -- to wiki pages, for cross-references to other OWL 2 specs
     -- to the w3.org/TR/foo-bar page for other W3C specs
     -- to some website, for references that have a website one would
        like to link to
     -- into our Master Bibliography (some wiki page), for references
        that don't have a good website.   An example in Syntax would be:
        [[Bib#ISO/IEC_10646|code point]]

THEN, as part of the publication process, my code will take every html
link in the document (pointing out of the document), add a suitable
entry for the bibliography at the end, and append (after where the link
occurs) the right "[foo]" bib reference and document-internal link.

The "suitable" entry will be constructed from our master bibliography
for non W3C stuff.  For W3C stuff there's already a machine-readable
bibliography (http://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf).

I guess there should be a mechanism to except some HTML links; <span
class="no-bib">...</span> around it would do.

If we do this, the text of the References section of the document would
be removed, leaving only some indications that (1) references should go
there, and (2) which references are normative.  Something like:

     This text will be replaced during publication by
     proper bibliographic entries.   The following links,
     will be treated as normative references:
     * http://example.com
     * http://example.org

     This text will be replaced during publication by
     proper bibliographic entries.</div>

Alternatively, I guess the normativity flag could be provided via a
span/class on at least one of the links to the normative document, but I
like making the normative links more obvious on the wiki page.

The only drawbacks I can think of to this plan are:

      -- some one-time work for the editors ripping out the current
         bibliographic stuff (but I think this will pay off pretty
         quickly in decreased maintenance effort)

      -- the wiki pages will look even more different from the TRs, but
         (as Peter points out) in a good way (assuming one is reading
         on-line).

      -- some coding for me (but, hey, I love programming)

Thoughts?  +1 -1 ?

I still haven't received the publication date for Doc Overview, so it's
possible I'll have time to code this up and let Doc Overview be the
first deployment.  (Yes, this is all a yak-shaving scheme so I don't
have clean up those references by hand, but my sense is this yak really
badly needs shaving.)

      -- Sandro