Re: Response draft for Jan Wielemaker JR8-2/54

On 10 Mar 2009, at 23:12, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>> I am happy to see I generated some storm here, so I am not 100% sure
>> what changes should happen on the response to Jan... There seem to
>> be no
>> consensus...
>>
>> I will call it a day. Maybe by the time I am back tomorrow everything
>> will be solved...:-)
>
> I suggest we do one of these:
>
>      - ask Jan whether he was thinking of something like TriX or
> something
>        like Rigid-RDF.

Let's not invite trouble.

>      - make a response which works in either case, eg by simply
> pointing
>        out that TriX-like solutions aren't very useful (in case that's
>        what he was thinking about) and saying nothing about other
>        possible approaches to generalized XML.

Works for me.

>      - drop the argument about TriX, since I don't think Jan really
>        cares about it, and even if he does, it doesn't really matter.

That's ok with me.

I only pointed out TriX to show that merely making RDF/XML XML
toolchain friendly does not make the encoding of OWL into that RDF/
XML XML toolchain friendly. That is, you need to do *something* to
make the OWL "visible" to the XML level. As such, whether you use a
bespoke XML syntax (as we do) or you have a generalized solution (as
you believe is possible), it's still the responsibility of *this
group* to define that OWL structure (as we do) and make it salient to
the XML layer.

That is, regardless of whether a future RDF group "went TriX" or
"went rigid", the OWL working group would have work to do here. Thus
we are doing things "in the right place".