Re: OWL2 comments -> UC#3

2009/3/3 Michel Dumontier <michel.dumontier@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Christine Golbreich <cgolbrei@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/3/3 Michel Dumontier <michel.dumontier@gmail.com>:

>> > Yes, if you know that its a ring atom, you an certain do that, but again
>> > you're missing the point. being connected to itself is not particularly
>> > interesting

>> > As described in the text of the cited paper, we initially thought so,
>> > but
>> > without the rest of the solution (partial ordered paths over transitive
>> > properties during reasoning), we don't get the intended result. so
>> > that's
>> > why we then tried rules, which works of course, but you have to specify
>> > the
>> > number of atoms in the ring you want to discover.
>>
>> OK, since that table should be considered as obsolete, I may use other
>> chemical examples, which may be less contentious from a chemical point
>> of view. However,
>
> Which table are you referring to? The one in the paper?? LOL.. you can't
> conclude that from this discussion.
>

>> 1) As the UCs selected in the document concern real applications, it
>> would be great if you might give a reference of the application where
>> such class definitions are used, and even better a line showing the
>> usefulness of local refmlexivity  in reasoning (if you used it to
>> reason)
>
> I gave you a use case, as you requested. Just because it hasn't been used
> (yet) doesn't invalidate its prospective utility.
>

>> 2)
>> > eg A kinase that phosphorylates itself
>> > Auto-Phosphorylating Kinase :=
>> >  subclass ( Kinase hasSelf (phosphorylates) )
>>
>> Not sure which syntax you use, but this axiom does not seem correct.
>> To express what you mean, the pattern in FS should it not be instead
>> something like:
>>
>> EquivalentClasses(Auto-p-A ObjectIntersectionOf(A hasSelf(p)))
>> e.g.
>> EquivalentClasses(Auto-Phosphorylating-Kinase  ObjectIntersectionOf(A
>> hasSelf(p)))
>> Auto-Phosphorylating-Kinase are kinase that phosphorylates themselves
>
> sure, this could then be used to discover members of such a class. there's
> your example you asked about above.
>>
>> I may also simply replace present RingAtom example by:
>> subclass ( Auto-Phosphorylating-Kinase hasSelf (phosphorylates) )
>> to express that Auto-Phosphorylating-Kinase phosphorylates themselves.
>
> fine

OK, then not getting another real application UC from the group, I may
use this to "illustrate" local ref, but we should be aware of its
limitation i.e.
1) it has not yet been used in a real application
2) the same problems as those met with your RingAtom (global restrictions) hold.

Christine

--
Christine