RE: SSFS clarification: Datatype definitions and typed literals

Hi!

Talking for the RDF-Based Semantics: If we would allow for literals
of defined datatypes, such as

  "42"^^ex:IntegersSmallerThan50

with

  ex:IntegersSmallerThan50 := xsd:integer[xsd:maxExclusive 50]

AFAICT, the RDF-Based Semantics would then need to be extended to
be aligned with the Direct Semantics (to make the correspondence
theorem valid). The reason is that the current RDF-Based semantics
(actually the semantics of "D-entailment" in Section 5 of the
RDF Semantics specification) only applies to datatypes that
are included in the used datatype map. But defined datatypes
are in general not part of the datatype map. So the above
example literal, while being allowed to be used in an
OWL 2 Full ontology (aka RDF graph), would not have the
intended/expected meaning (it would be just some undetermined
literal).

I would not say that I am against such an extension per se (it
seems even nice to have to me at a first look), but I guess
that this comes pretty late in the process, and would be,
IMO, an extension of the design of OWL 2 (both in DL and Full).

I therefore think that Mike's suggestion, to explicitly state
in the Structural Spec that such literals are disallowed in DL,
is fine. This statement would be editorial, since it just
clarifies things. In the RDF-Based Semantics, no action will
then be needed.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)