RE: Possible incorrect test case (?)

Hi!

This test case [1] really shows a non-entailment under the
OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics (and also in OWL 1 Full). This is
a subtle problem coming from the RDF Semantics.

The "lethal" bit is that the left-hand side graph of the test
does not contain the name "c". Since the LHS graph is satisfiable
under the RDF-Based Semantics, there exists an
OWL 2 RDF-Based interpretation I that satisfies the LHS graph
without having "c" in its (I's) vocabulary. According to the
5th semantic condition "for ground graphs" in Section 1.4 of the
RDF Semantics [2], this interpretation will fail to satisfy
the RHS of the entailment query, since the RHS contains a triple
in which the name "c" occurs.

But even if the mentioned semantic condition for RDF Simple Entailment
would not be applicable, there would still be a different approach to
show the non-entailment-ness: Let's again start from the above
interpretation I (without the name "c" in the vocabulary), and
construct a new interpretation I* from I by only adding the name "c"
to the vocabulary of I*, where I*(c) denotes an individual in
the /complement/ of the set of all classes (i.e. "c" is not a class).
I* will still be an OWL 2 RDF-Based interpretation and will still
satisfy the LHS graph. But I* will /not/ satisfy the RHS graph, since
for this to hold the name "c" would be required to denote a class
(see Section 5.3 in the RDF-Based Semantics [3], the table entry for
property "owl:allValuesFrom").

So, in any case, there exists an OWL 2 RDF-Based interpretation that
satisfies the LHS but not the RHS of the test case. Hence, the
test case is a non-entailment for the RDF-Based Semantics.

The "correspondence theorem" [4] between the OWL 2 Direct Semantics
and the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics counters this problem (at least
for valid OWL 2 DL test cases) by replacing the original
entailment-query by a new one that mentions all names that
occur in the RHS also in the LHS, together with the correct typing
information (aka declaration). This is part of what is called
"balancing" in the proof of the theorem [5].

Best,
Michael

[1]
<http://km.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/projects/owltests/index.php/TestCase:WebOnt
-Restriction-005>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#gddenot>
[3]
<http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RDF-Based_Semantics#Semantic_Conditions_for
_the_Vocabulary_Properties>
[4]
<http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RDF-Based_Semantics#Correspondence_Theorem>
[5] <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RDF-Based_Semantics#def-balanced>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)