RE: asymmetric VS non-symmetric

Hi Antoine!

First, let me say that in logics/mathematics literature I have never seen
any other use of "asymmetric" than the way we are using it in our documents
(the "hard" form).

More, I would not easily see any use case for having non-symmetry as a
modeling feature. It would tell me something like that for any model of the
ontology there would exist some property assertion for which there is no
corresponding reverse property assertion; but not knowing which property
assertion is meant, and it can be a different one for different models. What
does this information buy me?

(But if you really like to have non-symmetry as a feature, you can still
have it under the RDF-based semantics by stating something like

    ex:p rdf:type [ owl:complementOf( owl:SymmetricProperty ) ] .

This is, of course, not possible in OWL 2 DL.
)

But I agree that adding some informative note should be ok, and can even put
it in the CRs, IMO.

For the RDF-Based Semantics, I think what is already in for some months
should be sufficient:

[[
If two individuals are related by a symmetric property, then this property
also relates them reversely, while this is never the case for an asymmetric
property.
]]

Agreed?

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)