Re: ACTION-274: first draft

Just immediate comments, there might be more. Sorry if some of those are
a bit vague...

- I am a bit afraid that the response is too long. I cannot put my
finger on it where exactly, but we should see if we could cut it. The
current response may very well lead to a long and possibly endless
discussion which would benefit nobody.

- I am not sure that 'personalizing' the comment is a good idea. The
comment is signed by Jeremy in his capacity as TQ AC rep, so his
presence on the group in its earlier self may not be appropriate. I am
also not sure the referring to persons, like Stefan's, is appropriate.

- One specific comment in TQ text is:

[[[
Since almost all TopQuadrant's business uses both RDF and OWL together
the implicit requirement in OWL 1.0 that OWL and RDF should work well
together, remains a critical requirement for OWL2. We do not see this
listed as a requirement, and believe that several of the new features
added are in practice in conflict with this requirement.
]]]

I think we should first acknowledge that the current set of document
needs a number of editorial improvements to make it clear that the
relationship between OWL 2 and RDF is the same as for OWL 1 and RDF. We
should also emphasize that the RDF Full semantics is in the making,
although not yet in LC; however, when finished, it will have an equal
weight to the direct semantics. The fact that RDF is _the_ exchange is
also a fact worth emphasizing in this context.

I actually believe that we should _not_ rush in sending this response
back to TQ. There is no reason to do so. The reason I am thinking is
that, while working through the other comments, we might (hopefully we
will!) take a number of resolutions that we can refer to (eg, in the
area of RDF-OWL relationships). That could make the response more factual.

Just my 2 cents...

Ivan

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/LC_Responses/JC1
>
> I've mostly completed a very preliminary draft of a reply to TQ. It's
> long. It could be longer. It could be shorter and contain more content.
>
> One thing I could do is write up my dissection of the story into the
> wiki and we can point to that.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bijan.
>
> -----------------------
>
> Dear Jeremy,
>
> Thank you for your comment:
>
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-comments/2009Jan/0051.html>
> on the OWL 2 Web Ontology Language last call drafts.
>
> The comment you've sent is quite long and complex which attempts to
> present quite a deep understanding of TopQuadrant's perspective. The
> working group appreciates that effort and is equally committed to the
> consensus process. This response is to what we understand as the
> broadest action we believe you request of us. Where we discerned
> smaller, specific technical issues that could be sensibly dealt with
> separately, we separated them out. You will receive distinct responses
> for each of those.
>
> We believe that the fundamental comment and call for action is the
> following quote:
>
>   """We ask that many under-motivated new features should be dropped,
> including all unmotivated new features."""
> We perceive the rest of the text as explication of the general approach
> you would like the group to take when assessing when a feature is under-
> or un-motivated along with a set of examples of where TopQuadrant would
> judge a feature to be under- or un-motivated.
>
> We distinguish two sorts of judgement: A feature may be under- or
> un-motivated with respect to TopQuadrant's perception of its current and
> likely business needs (and of its customer base), and under- or
> un-motived with respect to a broad enough community (esp. of W3C
> members) to be worth standardization, all things considered (including
> potential asymmetric costs to TopQuadrant or to other parties). We
> believe that is is the latter that is our responsibility to determine to
> the best of our abilities, though, obviously the former is critical
> input to those judgments. Essentially, the consensus process is for the
> WG to take TopQuadrant's input very seriously and to point TopQuadrant
> to evidence of other parties' interests. Hopefully, we can reach
> consensus. We welcome ongoing feedback from TopQuadrant.
>
> One point of clarification: While we are happy to take your feedback on
> the LC drafts via comments on the FPWD of the New Features &
> Rationales(NF&R) document, we wish to point out that since the NF&R
> document is not complete, there may be significant distortions in your
> understanding of the motivations, costs, and benefits of the design of
> OWL2. The working group is satisfied that it did weight the costs and
> benefits broadly and often made decisions based on minimizing the costs
> [...]

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153