RE: FW: TopQuadrant response to OWL2 LC

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:39:55 +0100
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: "W3C OWL Working Group" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Ivan Herman wrote:

>O.k., I take your points. But I am afraid of the confusion created by
>the LHS and the RHS, more exactly the assymetry with rdfs:subPropertyOf

Ok.

>What was wrong with having something like
>
>(SEQ p_1 ... p_n) owl:subPropertyChainOf q .
>
>Though I am afraid I know: it looks quite awful in RDF/XML because the
>parseType="collection" cannot be used:-( Sigh... It is o.k. in turtle...

This was there in the member submission, see Table 2 in

  http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/rdf_mapping.html

and, AFAIR, was one of the first things requested to be changed. :)

Actually, there is no precedence for having lists on the LHS, so I wouldn't like to follow this path.

And as a practical argument: This is not how I am accustomed to create OWL/RDF in a tool such as TBC: Start from some object (e.g. a property name), and attach predicate/value pairs to it. Here, you would need to start from some list, or apply some very different approach (don't know which one, perhaps predicate centric?).

>If this is indeed the case, then I would weaken your case:-) and go for
>
>q owl:superOfPropertyChain (SEQ p_1 ... p_n)
>
>ain't nice, I know... but avoids confusions with LHS and RHS...

Looks confusing to me. I would rather prefer

  q owl:superPropertyOfChain (SEQ p_1 ... p_n)

That's at least closer to a correct sentence, not so hard to remember, and expresses quite well what is actually meant.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi Studer