Re: disjointness of numerics

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:11:06 +0000
Cc: "Michael Schneider" <schneid@fzi.de>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>, <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>

On 28 Jan 2009, at 15:58, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> The semantics of OWL 1 says that values of unsupported datatypes
> are interpreted as some element of a set that is at least as large
> as the union of the interpretations of all the known datatypes and
> is disjoint from the abstract domain. A reasoner implementing
> Vanilla OWL would therefore not find this entailment, but nor would
> it conclude that the two values are necessarily different.

This is true, but isn't the question "What would a reasoner
supporting the built-in (but optional) datatypes float and integer do?"

Many (Cerebra, KAON2 I think) did not treat them as disjoint. Pellet,
afacr, did. Arguably the (weakly) speced semantics defers to the XML
Schema doc which says that they are.