FW: TopQuadrant response to OWL2 LC

 [send to WG list only for internal discussion]

>From the "Other Comments" section:

[[
Property chain inclusion axioms
    These appear to be quite widely useful. We have some concerns with the use of blank nodes in the subPropertyOf triple corresponding to a RIA. These are likely to cause problems for RDF implementations which expect all predicates to be URI nodes. We think that drilling down and fixing all instances where RDF software makes this assumption is costly and unlikely to happen and to introduce incompatibility between OWL2 and RDF. We believe introducing a new property in the RDF mapping for RIA and avoiding the use of subPropertyOf is probably a better trade off here.
]]

I would be fine with this proposal, also from the OWL 2 Full perspective, because the current encoding introduces a certain form of "semantic side effect" (not too bad, otherwise I would have spoken up earlier, but it's at least an annoyance). And it would simplify the semantic conditions in OWL 2 Full. Also, I would say that we should, in general go with single property solutions whenever possible.

So, in the case that we decide to follow this proposal, here is, for a start, my concrete suggestion for a new RDF encoding of sub property chains:

  q owl:subsumesPropertyChain (SEQ p_1 ... p_n)

for given property names q and p_1 ... p_n .

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: public-owl-comments-request@w3.org [mailto:public-owl-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Carroll
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 10:51 PM
To: public-owl-comments@w3.org
Subject: TopQuadrant response to OWL2 LC

As indicated on Friday, here is the completed comment.
There have been some wording improvements from the earlier draft.

Jeremy Carroll, as TopQuadrant AC Rep

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi Studer