Re: profiles and the rec track

Bijan
   I will pass your email on -
   As far as charter, you yourself have said a number of times that it
is up to the WG to decide what is rec track and what isn't - I think
we've certainly met the charter requirements on the design of the
profiles.  Yes, I have said at other times I'd like to see the
deliverables rec track, and if it was a perfect world I'd still be
arguing for the profiles, but as I said in the email that started this
thread, this was a new realization for me, and took a lot of thought.

On Jan 27, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I wasn't responding to your general arguments but to that point
> alone. I was just giving you some information for people made the
> comment about theoretical complexity and the behavior of these
> profiles. Regardless of what decision we make, we should be clear
> about the facts.
>
> I'd be interested in what response that AC rep who made the comment
> about complexity would make if presented with these facts. It's
> unclear to me from your email whether that was a showstopper (but
> everything else was good) or a throwaway. Without knowing that, it's
> hard to judge what the problem is or the severity thereof and the
> proper response.
>
> As I said, I'd be happy to discuss this privately with them. Feel
> free to forward my email.
>
> As to your proposal (and arguments in support of them) I've not yet
> digested them or formulated a response. A prima facie point, of
> course, is that we sorta went through this debate on the charter and
> the AC endorsed the charter as is. Now, of course, there might be
> new information or new perspectives on the old information, but if
> it's just replaying the debate, I'm unclear, procedurally, how much
> weight to give it.
>
> Since you are the one getting the messages, could you check to see
> if these are the same people who endorsed two groups before? Or is
> this a shift in opinion? The latter would be more significant, of
> course.
>
> I understand the general "too much stuff" worry, but I'm not (yet)
> convinced.
>
> My point about the Lilly comment was that it wasn't clear that she
> *was* talking about the profiles. They said OWL2 had too much stuff
> so that it was hard to find subsets to teach. But they also said
> that it seemed to be a result of research programs (citing
> profiles). These are in contradiction, to a large extent. So, it
> would be interesting to explain to Lilly the relationship between
> the profiles and OWL 2 and see if they still feel that way.
>
> IOW, we're still at the data gathering stage, as far as I'm
> concerned.  More data is better.
>
> (Note that we'd have to get a charter change in order to remove
> language fragments. As RPI AC, you  have before indicated that any
> deviation from the positive list of deliverables in the charter
> would meet with strong opposition:
> 	<http://www.w3.org/2007/06/OWLCharter.html#deliverables>
> see:
> 	<http://www.w3.org/mid/C76F33CF-12C5-4998-9F2E-F70068195F9A@cs.rpi.edu
> >
> for an example.
>
> It's easy to envision a member for whom Profiles are as important as
> UCRs are to you making exactly the same argument. So, I think we
> must take care.)
>
> As I said, Manchester has no position at this time. Uli is away and
> I would need to discuss it with her.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

it?." - Albert Einstein