Re: Can an object property be both functional and transitive?

On 26 Jan 2009, at 20:17, Jie Bao wrote:

> Thanks Bijan for the reference

You're welcome.

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 26 Jan 2009, at 19:36, Jie Bao wrote:
[snip]
> It looks the same as the OWL 1 case.

It should be.

> However, we need to be careful
> with the definition of ObjectPropertyAxiom after Figure 15 :
>
> ObjectPropertyAxiom :=
>    SubObjectPropertyOf | EquivalentObjectProperties |
>    DisjointObjectProperties | InverseObjectProperties |
>    ObjectPropertyDomain | ObjectPropertyRange |
>    FunctionalObjectProperty | InverseFunctionalObjectProperty |
>    ReflexiveObjectProperty | IrreflexiveObjectProperty |
>    SymmetricObjectProperty | AsymmetricObjectProperty |
>    TransitiveObjectProperty
>
> It very likely to give users a wrong impression that
> FunctionalObjectProperty axiom and TransitiveObjectProperty axiom (as
> well as for some other simple, non-simple cases) can co-exist for the
> same property. A note to "Global Restrictions on Axioms" may be needed
> here to draw users' attention.

Or we could be more explicit about this in the intro.
[snip]
> Another issue is that, if the UML diagrams are meant to be a normative
> definition of OWL 2,

UML diagrams + the global restrictoins and some other constraints.

> can the "Global Restrictions on Axioms" be part
> of the UML definition,

I don't think so.

> or they are out of the expressivity of UML,
> thus no standard UML tool can actually accept a complete OWL 2
> specification?

I'd be surprised if all the constraints could be expressed in UML.
Compare with XML Schema --- it's definitely the case that not all the
constraints can be expressed in XML Schema, not just for OWL, but for
most languages (e.g., WSDL).

[snip]
>> That condition is even more complex, I'm not sure it's a good idea to
>> add it at this time. (Simple vs.  non-simple is much easier.) I do
>> hope
>> implementations will go beyond the coarser restriction over time.
>>
> How implementor can be aware of this?

By being familiar with the literature. It's highly likely that more
liberalizations will be discovered. We can't expect the spec to track
that.