LC Comment: Names for axioms

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:13:55 +0000
To: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

This is the result of discussions with people at Manchester working on
a collaboration with Siemens Medical Health Services (i.e., an
industrial project). The immediate overall goal is to support so
called "stand off" annotations on axioms...that is, axiom annotations
that are not a structural part of an axiom they annotate. Such
annotations could be stored in separate documents (for example).

The simplest feature that would support this would be the ability to
name axioms with a URI. This ability is, I think, present in OWL Full.
Adding it to the functional syntax would be straightforward enough but
require touching lots of things. One could also have a special
annotation, "owl:axiomName".

Note that Matthew Pocock raised this way back when:
	<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2007JanMar/0067.html

and we sorta reached agreement that a canonical annotation would do
the job. It's fairly important that it be canonical so as to ensure
interop (i.e., not having multiple naming conventions).

Manchester does not want this issue to force another last call on its
own. However, if another last call is necessary for other reasons, we
would like this special annotation to be added to the spec.