Discussion of WebOnt test I4.6-005

From: Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:07:25 -0500
To: "W3C OWL Working Group" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I'm hoping to reach consensus about how to handle WebOnt test
[I4.6-005].  I believe that the test is applicable to both RDF and DL
semantics, but is misleading.

In DL semantics, the definition of entailment applies only to ontology
models, so the annotation is irrelevant.  The test reduces to
entailment of a declaration.

In RDF semantics, the definition of entailment considers the annotation.

First, we need to choose to accept this test case despite it being
misleading, or reject it for being misleading.

Second, I think we need a test case to make the difference in
entailment definitions clear.  Something like

O1
Declaration(Class(A))

O2
Declaration(Class(A))
AnnotationAssertion( rdfs:comment A "Anything" )

In DL Semantics, O1 entails O2, in RDF semantics it does not.

Thoughts appreciated.
--
Mike Smith

Clark & Parsia