Re: draft response for LC comment 14

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 16:58, Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com> wrote:

> [Response for LC Comment 14]

> The definition of ontology entailment in the OWL 2 Direct Semantics
> document [1] is consistent with, and nearly identical to, the
> definition of entailment presented in the OWL Direct Model-Theoretic
> Semantics [2]. The definition of entailment used in the original RDF
> Compatible Semantics [3] and the updated OWL 2 RDF Based Semantics [4]
> differs from the definition used in in Direct Semantics documents.
> Your comment highlights the difference between the Direct and RDF
> based semantics, not a difference between OWL and OWL 2.

Unfortunately, a more careful reading of OWL 1 docs show that the
statements above are incorrect. Entailment in OWL 1 is defined in
terms of interpretations satisfying ontologies.  [2] places the
following constraint on such satisfaction, which is not present in OWL
2.

"each URI reference in O used as a class ID (datatype ID, individual
ID, data-valued property ID, individual-valued property ID, annotation
property ID, annotation ID, ontology ID) belongs to VC (VD, VI, VDP,
VIP, VAP, VO, respectively); "

I will modify the response, along the lines of -- yes it is a change
from OWL 1, but one that permits an empty ontology to entail
tautologies and is a good thing.

--
Mike Smith

Clark & Parsia