Re: draft response for LC comment 26 (a and b)

Sandro-
   Feel free to read the process document [1] what confusion would
there be with the process - the whole idea of WG and review includes
deciding what to move forward and what not.  So I repeat I'd like to
NOT move profiles to CR at this time.  Just as we currently are
discussing publishing the Manchester syntax as a note, we could do the
same for the Profiles.  Why in the world would that confuse people as
to the process (esp. when the document is publicly available)
   I don't think the problem is with implementation in this case, I
think it is with the confusion of releasing too much at the same time.
   -JH
[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#cfi

On Feb 16, 2009, at 8:53 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> Jim Hendler writes:
>>   Frankly, in practice I'm finding it extremely hard to explain why
>> three profiles are needed, and I would again propose that we consider
>> moving the other documents to CR, but hold back the profiles document
>> for further work on explanations and to avoid confusion that could
>> lead to less adoption of DL/Full, which still seems to me to be where
>> the most important OWL 2 extensions currently live.
>
> FWIW, I think it's easier (and more useful) to explain the difference
> between QL and RL [1] than the difference between CR and Rec [2].  It
> seems to me like this "hold back" strategy would leave people
> (rightly)
> confused about W3C process instead of trying to understand the
> differences between the profiles.
>
>      -- Sandro
>

> [1] They are both ways to make queries of a database and have some OWL
>    inferencing done to give you additional query results.  With QL,
> the
>    data is left as-is, and the queries are re-written to also return
>    OWL inferences.  With RL, the *queries* are left as-is, but a
>    process is run to add more data (the OWL inferences) to the
>    database.  The choice between the two depends on which inferences
>    you care about (some can only be implemented with one approach,
> some
>    with the other), and the resource/performance demands of your
>    application.  [This is off the top of my head, trying to be clear
>    and simple.]
>
>    [After writing that, I (as a user) want a clear and simple table of
>    which OWL features are in each, making it easy to see which are in
>    both.   That doesn't have to come from OWL-WG.]
>
> [2] A "Candidate Recommendation" (CR) is a W3C specification that is
>    mature enough that people should try to implement it, but the W3C
>    has not yet determined whether it has been sufficiently implemented
>    to demonstrate that it *can* be implemented.  [This is off the
> top of
>    my head, trying to be simple and clear.  Since I expect QL and RL
>    be easy to implement, I don't really see how they could
> legitimately
>    be stuck in CR.]

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair