Re: What happens when an ontology has data literals that are outside the range handled

On 13 Feb 2009, at 13:33, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: What happens when an ontology has data literals that
> are outside the range handled
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:35:06 -0800
[snip]
>> Additionally, an OWL 2 entailment checker:
>> must return Error if an input document uses datatypes that are not
>> supported by its datatype map or literals that exceed any limits it
>> has on datatype literals or datatype values
>
> Seems relatively benign.

Meh. I don't think so. I'd prefer to not proscribe what the checker
does (which might depend on configuration options) and just say that
it *is* an error. Or even:

A conforming checker must make clear the behavior of the system when
the input document blah blah blah.

I.e., something that encourages people to do a useful thing rather
than an unusful thing.