Re: ACTION-268

On 30 Jan 2009, at 16:51, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2009, at 19:31, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
>> Done with:
>> 	 http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?
>> title=Syntax&oldid=17348 [Bijan Parsia]
>>
>> To:
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Syntax#Keys
>
> In working on the draft reply, I was wondering if my change was
> enough, or if it should read:
>
> """A key axiom of the form HasKey( owl:Thing OPE ) is similar to
> the axiom InverseFunctionalProperty( OPE ), the main differences
> being that the former axiom is applicable only to individuals that
> are explicitly named in an ontology, while the latter axiom is also
> applicable to individuals whose existence is implied by existential
> quantification. Furthermore, an inverse-functional property is
> inverse-functional for all assertions using that property, whereas
> keys can be scoped to assertions involving individuals of a certain
> class.""""
>
> Add: """In this way, classes can represent distinct tables with the
> same key name or different versions of the same table directly."""

OK for me -- and it may help people (like Jim) coming from DB
backgrounds to understand the rationale.

> If this is ok, I'll add it.
>
> Also, I think this is misleading:
>
> """This makes key axioms equivalent to a variant of DL-safe rules
> [DL-Safe]. Thus, key axioms will typically not affect class-based
> inferences such as the computation of the subsumption hierarchy,
> but they will play a role in answering queries about individuals.
> This choice has been made in order to keep the language decidable."""
>
> DL safe rules require DL safety to be decidable (to a first
> approximation). Keys *do not*. We restrict keys for implementation
> considerations.

I agree -- the last sentence is simply wrong. We could simply delete
this sentence: I don't think that we want or need to justify all
design choices in this document, and it might be difficult to provide
a short yet convincing justification for this one.

Ian