RE: ACTION-275: Unicode, XML, RDF references

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:16:19 +0100
To: "Bijan Parsia" <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: "W3C OWL Working Group" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
>From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk]

>You misunderstand me. The point is that RDF "the language" isn't
>necessarily fixed. There might be new versions, just as their might
>be new version of Unicode. The issue is whether your document should
>normatively reference a *particular* version or normatively reference
>the current "and any future one".

Ah, sorry, really a misunderstanding on my side.

>> But as I said, I have no problem with adding the additional
>> information.
>> Just let's have a common policy, in order to reduce creativity. :)
>
>Obviously, that's what I'm trying to do.
>
>But sometimes it may make sense to refer to a fixed version in one
>document and not in another. For example, allowing any future version
>of XML be a legal OWL/XML syntax is probably ok. Claiming that your
>semantics is an extension of *any future* RDF semantics probably isn't.

It's definitely an extension of that particular RDF Semantics specification.
It's impossible to foresee the future, and there may be a lot of new things
and changes in an RDF 2 spec that may then be in conflict with current OWL 2
Full. Same for RDF Concepts.

>Cheers,
>Bijan.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)

==

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi
Studer

==