RE: owl:Thing in RL profile?

Hi!

Markus Krötzsch wrote:

>Bothering you again with the below question. If this is a bug we should
>probably get it fixed soon. -- Markus
>
>On Samstag, 8. August 2009, Markus Krötzsch wrote:
>> The forwarded email below asks the question whether assertions of the
>> form
>>
>> ClassAssertion(owl:Thing auto)
>>
>> are allowed in OWL RL. They seem to be excluded by the grammar, but
>> maybe this is a bug rather than deliberate design.

Hm, maybe I'm missing something (it's much too late in the day, literally
:)), but it looks to me that this would break theorem PR1 [1]. For example,
look at the graphs

G1 := {
  ex:o rdf:type owl:Ontology .
  ex:drivenBy rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .
  ex:auto ex:drivenBy ex:alice .
}

G2 := {
  ex:o rdf:type owl:Ontology .
  ex:auto rdf:type owl:Thing .
}

With owl:Thing being allowed to appear as classes in class assertions, the
reverse RDF mappings for both G1 and G2 would be in the OWL 2 RL syntactic
fragment, and the pair <G1,G2> would satisfy the premises of PR1. Further,
G1 direct entails G2. But G2 cannot be inferred from G1 via the OWL 2 RL/RDF
rules.

Of course, this could as well be considered a problem with PR1, or with the
RL/RDF rules...

Good night,
Michael

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Profiles#Theorem-PR1>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)