Re: owl:Thing in RL profile?

From: Markus Krötzsch <mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:13:51 +0200
To: "'W3C OWL Working Group'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Cc: Bernardo Cuenca Grau <Bernardo.Cuenca.Grau@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, Ian Horrocks <ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, Zhe Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com>, Achille Fokoue <achille@us.ibm.com>
Bothering you again with the below question. If this is a bug we should
probably get it fixed soon. -- Markus

On Samstag, 8. August 2009, Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> The forwarded email below asks the question whether assertions of the form
>
> ClassAssertion(owl:Thing auto)
>
> are allowed in OWL RL. They seem to be excluded by the grammar, but maybe
> this is a bug rather than deliberate design. If not, we need to revisit
> profile classifications of some test cases.
>
> Feedback (esp. by the Profiles editors) is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Markus

> Subject: Test cases - RL Syntax
> Date: Freitag, 7. August 2009
> From: Stuart Taylor <staylor@abdn.ac.uk>
> To: Markus Krötzsch <mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> I'm running through the test cases again so that I can update the
> Aberdeen Syntax Checker and have a question about the RL syntax for
> class assertion axioms.
>
> For example in TestCase:WebOnt-equivalentClass-001 [1] premise ontology
> we have the axiom:
>
> ClassAssertion(owl:Thing auto)
>
>  From the RL section of the profiles document [2] we have:
>
> ClassAssertion := 'ClassAssertion' '(' axiomAnnotations
> superClassExpression Individual ')'
> superClassExpression :=
>     Class other than owl:Thing | ...
>
> Could you confirm whether the test in [1] is OWL 2 RL or not, i.e., does
> RL allow owl:Thing in class assertion axioms? There are several more
> test cases marked as RL which contain this sort of axiom, so I have a
> feeling that I may have overlooked something in the profiles document :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart.
>
> [1]
> http://km.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/projects/owltests/index.php/TestCase:WebOnt
>- equivalentClass-001
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Profiles#OWL_2_RL

Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe
phone +49 (0)721 608 7362           fax +49 (0)721 608 5998
mak@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de           www  http://korrekt.org
http://semantic-web-book.org  http://semantic-mediawiki.org