Re: Explain profile acronyms

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:59:04 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
cc: ian.horrocks@comlab.ox.ac.uk, public-owl-wg@w3.org
> I certainly see no problem with adding some minor explanatory text
> along these lines.

It seems good to me, too, except for the EL explanation.  The reference
to EL++ doesn't help anyone.  (If you know about EL++, you don't need
the explanation; if you don't know about EL++, then knowing the
association doesn't help.)

So where does the "E" come from?  I guess it's from "Existential
Restrictions"...  That doesn't help very much here.  Maybe we can
propose a mnemonic?  "Extensive", "Efficient", "Easy", "Economical",
"Enormous", "Elephantine"...  :-)

Maybe something like:

   - The EL profile was orginally named for its use of Existential
     restrictions, but for a mnemonic, we note that it supports
     Efficient reasoning, even with Enormous ontologies.

... or something like that.

     -- Sandro