RE: Use of owl:versionInfo to record ontology version IRI in RDF

Hi!

Quick Summary: I don't think that anything needs to be changed.

Here is the actual text from the OWL 1 Reference:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#versionInfo-def>

[[
     An owl:versionInfo statement
-1-> generally has as its object a string
     giving information about this version, for example RCS/CVS keywords.
     This statement does not contribute
     to the logical meaning of the ontology other than
-2-> that given by the RDF(S) model theory.
]]

>From -1- it sounds to me that this is only a very informative statement.

Now to -2-: "no other meaning than that by RDFS semantics" means to me that
the range of owl:versionInfo is rdfs:Resource, i.e. can be anything. The
reason is that this property isn't part of the RDF(S) vocabulary, so it is
just a plain property for RDFS. And this means that, if an RDFS reasoner
sees a triple "s owl:versionInfo o", then it cannot conclude other than "o
rdf:type rdfs:Resource".

To strengthen this: In OWL 1 Full (er, the OWL 1 RDF-Compatible Semantics
:)), the only thing that is said about owl:versionInfo was that it is an
owl:AnnotationProperty (see Section 5.2 of
<http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/rdfs.html>). And for an
owl:AnnotationProperty p the range was determined to be owl:Thing union
rdfs:Literal (Table "Characteristics of OWL classes, datatypes, and
properties" in Section 5.2). This was, in OWL 1 Full, just equivalent to
owl:Thing, and this was again equivalent to rdfs:Resource, i.e. everything.

Btw, in the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics, I have explicitly defined the range
of owl:versionInfo to be unrestricted, just to be clear. :)

So, I don't see an issue here. Maybe in common use owl:VersionInfo has often
been used with a string as its object (e.g. with the "RCS/CVS keywords"
mentioned in the OWL Ref). But I cannot see anything in the (normative
part!) of the OWL 1 spec that speaks against using IRIs as objects as well.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)