Restrictions on property chains

From: Evren Sirin <evren@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:30:18 -0400
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I'm comparing the restrictions defined in the syntax document
regarding property chains [1] and the conditions defined in the SROIQ
paper [2]. I'm having problems verifying they enforce actually the
same conditions.

In [2], it is said that there should be a regular order on the set of
properties which is defined to be a strict partial order with the
additional restriction that

S < R iff INV(S) < R

In [1], the strict partial order requirement is there but I don't see
anything that would enforce this additional constraint. As a result,
an axiom like

SubPropertyOf( PropertyChain( P P ) InverseOf( P ) )

is disallowed by [2] but allowed by [1].

Is this difference in the definitions because regularity was more
strict than necessary? Or is this a bug in [2]?

Regards,
Evren

PS: A very minor issue is that the citation [3] is for [2] but link
points to the technical report [4].

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Syntax#The_Restrictions_on_the_Axiom_Closure
[2] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~sattler/publications/KR-06-SROIQ.pdf
[3] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Syntax#ref-sroiq