Re: Survey on titles for OWL2 Semantics documents

From: Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:10:42 +0100
Cc: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>

On 22 Sep 2008, at 12:58, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>> On 19 Sep 2008, at 16:29, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>
>>> Ah! So the remark could be translated as 'there is nothing DL
>>> specific
>>> in it'. Right? This makes sense...
>>>

>> indeed, this is what I tried to say, cheers, Uli
>
> I'm baffled by this.
>
> I'm pretty sure they are not the semantics of full first-order logic.

no, but the basic idea and structure is the same.

> And they are the semantics of OWL DL, which I understand is a
> description logic (DL) language.  (As the W3C Recommendation on the
> subject says, "OWL DL is so named due to its correspondence with
> description logics".)
>
> So that makes them very DL specific.
>
> What have I got wrong about this?

DLs are (well-behaved) fragments of first order predicate logic, and
they have "the same" semantics. So, if I knew something about FOL,
then i should be able to understand the semantics -- even if i had
never heard about DLs since there is nothing "DL specific" in them.

> Maybe you're parsing the phrase "DL Semantics" in parallel to like
> "Model-Theoretic Semantics", as if the term "DL" is indicating how the
> semantics are specified?

yes - and it might sound like 'exotic semantics' to some where, in
fact, it's straightforward first order semantics.

> That would explain your comments, I suppose.
> Or you think other people will parse it that way?  To mean "DL
> Semantics" is just a less clumsy way of saying "Semantics of the OWL
> DL
> family of languages", and as such it seems like the perfect name.

indeed, I would be afraid that people would *not* read it like this
but as in "semantics for which you need to know DLs and which doesn't
fit into anything but DLs", which I wouldn't like.

Cheers, Uli