Comment on mapping.

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:57:15 -0400
To: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I have not completed the review of the Mapping document, but here are
a couple of comments:

Doc:
The RDF syntax of OWL 2 is backwards-compatible with that of OWL DL:
every OWL DL ontology in RDF syntax can be mapped into a valid OWL 2
ontology using the reverse-transformation from Section 3 such that the
resulting OWL 2 ontology has exactly the same set of models as the
original OWL DL ontology.

Comment: The models are usually defined on the axiom closures. It is
not obvious to me that considering models of a single ontology
document is of practical use. In general, it feels like there is a
blurring between ontology documents and what users would generally
consider to be an ontology, namely the documents and its imports. I'm
also not clear on whether there is a difference between the document
and it's imports and the axiom closure.

Doc: elt denotes an entity, an anonymous individual, or a literal.

Values of annotations. Not an arbitrary URI? What about
owl:incompatibleWith.

It is not my expectation that these would necessarily be addressed
before we public the next working draft.

-Alan