Question about datatype maps

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:02:37 -0400
To: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

The OWL specification has a datatype map as a parameter. It's unclear
to me what are allowable extensions in the realm of datatypes, and
whether such extensions would be desirable from an interoperability
point of view. Now that we have a wide range of datatypes, do we need
to support extensibility here? Our experience OWL 1, OWL 2, that
choice and semantics of datatypes are not a slam-dunk obvious choice,
raising questions about whether sanctioned extensions to OWL in this
dimension would be beneficial or cause more trouble than they are
worth. Of course nothing would prevent unsanctioned extensions - my
question here is of what we should encourage.

-Alan