Re: proposal for dateTime (ISSUE-138)

From: Mike Smith <msmith@clarkparsia.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:32:23 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: public-owl-wg@w3.org

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:37, Peter F. Patel-Schneider
<pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> There has been some discussion of whether OWL can use XSD's new datatype
> dateTime with required timezone, because our notion of equality derives
> from the timeline for time, not the XSD 7-value internal data structure
> for xsd:dateTime.  However, our notion of equality *is* the notion of
> equality used in XSD for dateTime values with a required timezone, and
> thus retains compatibility with XSD.

Has the XML schema group changed the semantics such that identity and
equality are the same?

The test case at [1] is consistent because with owl:dateTime, equality
and identity are the same.  If we were to adopt the timezone dependent
notion of identity, the ontology in the test case would be
inconsistent.
--
Mike Smith

Clark & Parsia