RE: Proposed tweaks to Annotations

Hi!

I don't see any particular problem with your suggested approach to map additional FS vocabulary, such as SubAnnotationPropertyOf, to the existing RDF vocabulary, rdfs:subPropertyOf in this case. AFAICT, this would not really lead to a further semantic divergence between OWL 2 DL and OWL 2 Full.

In OWL 2 Full (even in OWL Full), I can state subproperty axioms (or domain or range axioms) on annotation properties, anyway. The reason is that AnnotationProperties are also ObjectProperties in OWL Full. Hence, if someone writes an ontology in RDF having subproperty, domain or range axioms between annotation properties, then the author will receive the entailments, you mention below, from the OWL Full semantics. From an RDFS/OWL-Full perspective, this is /expected/ behavior, because annotation properties are properties in Full, not pure comments. This is the status quo, with or without the introduction of SubAnnotationPropertyOf.

The difference would be that, with the new FS vocabulary and its mapping to the existing RDF vocabulary, eventually certain RDF graphs would be accepted by OWL DL reasoners, which would nowadays be rejected as syntax errors. However, this would be a pure change in the /syntactic/ relationship between OWL 2 DL and OWL 2 Full: More RDF graphs, i.e. OWL 2 Full ontologies, would be accepted in OWL 2 DL. There would not be any difference in the semantic relationship, because all these subproperty, domain and range "axioms" on annotation properties would have no semantic consequences in OWL 2 DL.

I suggest that People, who are interested in having more RDF being accepted by OWL 2 DL, should consider this approach. This approach should mainly be discussed from an OWL 2 DL perspective, what advantages and disadvantages it will bring for DL. There won't be any consequences for OWL 2 Full, or for the semantic relationship between 2-DL and 2-Full (I don't see that it would hurt the correspondence theorem as is).

Of course, if new /RDF/ vocabulary is being introduced instead, this /will/ have consequences for the Full semantics. But even then, I don't think that it will be a big problem for Full. This could be addressed by defining analog semantics for this new vocabulary as for the respective RDFS vocabulary, but restricted to the set "IOAP" of annotation properties. AFAICS, this would only enlarge the Full document a bit.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe