RE: typo in OWL 2 structural specification, not semantics.

Hello,

The reason why we have positive and negative zeros is because this is how things work in XML Schema Datatypes 1.1; these are in turn
based on IEEE 754 for the representation of floating-point numbers. Our goal was to be compatible with these specs, so we included
them into OWL. If this were not the case, OWL ontologies could not capture all floating point numbers that can occur in practice,
which some members of the WG considered problematic.

The solution was to "promote" the standard zero to +0, and to introduce a new -0 which is not a real number.

> Another thing that is highly confusing in the text is the use of
> 'equal' having a distinct meaning from 'identical'. If these are not
> synonyms, then 'equal' does not mean =. Boris, I think your first
> response was confused on exactly this issue.
>
> I think what y'all mean by
>
>   "+0 is equal to -0 but not identical to it"
>
> is in fact
>
> "+0 isn't equal to -0 but they are equivalent as far as arithmetic is
> concerned"

The XML Schema Datatypes 1.1 spec explicitly distinguishes identity from equality. In particular, +0 and -0 are not identical (i.e.,
they are different things in the interpretation domain), but they are equal. Equality is used in OWL mainly for the definition of
facets. For example, the following data range is interpreted as a set of two elements containing +0 and -0:

DatatypeResctriction( owl:realPlus minInclusive "0"^^xsd:integer maxInclusive "0"^^xsd:integer )

The reason for this is that both +0 and -0 are equal, but they are not identical.

In contrast, the following data range is a singleton and contains only +0:

DatatypeResctriction( owl:real minInclusive "0"^^xsd:integer maxInclusive "0"^^xsd:integer )

I'm afraid there is not much we can do if we want to remain compatible with XML Schema Datatypes 1.1 and IEEE 754.

Regards,

	Boris