RE: ISSUE-125 (min1some): Min 1 QCR = someValuesFrom - Serialize as someValuesFrom?

I strongly concur with Bijan's points, and want to add a few more.

First, I have to apologize to discuss this topic while the issue is still in
"raised" state. But I cannot attend tomorrow's telco (travelling to Romania),
so I am going to say, what I would say there, here.

It is intended that OWL provides different ways to express semantically
equivalent things, because OWL is not only a reasoning formalism, but also a
modeling language. That's why we now have owl:disjointUnion, which gives
additional modeling power to OWL 2 in exchange for forward-compatibility, and
without enhancing the semantic expressivity of the language.

OWL 1, btw., also contains a lot of syntactic sugar: owl:equivalentClass can
be substituted by two rdfs:subClassOf axioms, which would bring certain OWL 1
ontologies nearer to RDFS. Or there is owl:AllDifferent, or HasValue
restrictions. Even owl:sameAs can be expressed by means of a nominal-based
class assertions.

For the case of >=1-QCRs vs. SomeValues-restrictions: These are pretty
different modeling tools, which just happen to be equivalent technically. For
example, it might make sense, from a modeling perspective, to explicitly
express [1..*] relationships between two classes, or even [0..*]
relationships, although the latter would be redundant technically. Making
these features illegal in OWL, and demanding to circumscribe them in a
technically equivalent way, would not be what I want in such a case. Actually,
this would be the situation of pre-OWL-2, where it was well known how to
circumscribe QCRs. But people asked for QCRs often enough, anyway, probably
not without a reason.

Even worse than disallowing >={0|1)-QCRs would it be to demand from the OWL
tools do the transformation themselves. I just try to compare this with the
strange situation where my Java programming IDE would rewrite all my generics,
autoboxing, non-indexed loops, and all the other stuff which does not go into
the bytecode eventually, just in order to make it more Java-1.0 compatible. I
would certainly not use this IDE ever again. :) And then I try to imagine
Topbraid Composer, which would have to serialize my >=1-QCR silently into a
SomeValues-restriction. I expect this would probably lead to a lot of traffic
in Holger's mailing list... :-/