Re: Want GRDDL intro for WG-dummies :)

On 9 mei 2008, at 11:26, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> On 9 May 2008, at 10:06, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
> [snip]
>> Yes, GRDDL does not require you to use XSLT, it can be a web
>> service as well (cf. Bijan's remark on the telecon).
>
> Actually, it can just be an abstract function. We need to be clear
> on the difference between specs and implementation here.

You are right (of course), I was just making the point that it doesn't
have to be an XSLT.

*snip*
> The other reason to "do" anything wrt to GRDDL, afaict, is so that
> authors who want to use GRDDL or readers who receive an OWL/XML
> document with a GRDDL attribute can detect whether the transform is
> intended to produce the equivalent RDF/XML document (as opposed to
> just the classes, for example).

That's a good one. Hadn't thought of that.

>> We need some way to point to this official transformation:
>
> Well, I usually point at the specs :) Seriously, if there's a
> question about whether a program correctly implements the
> transformation, we definitely SHOULD NOT point to a particular
> implementation (whether in XSLT or Java or provided as a web service).

That's what I meant to say.. should have been 'mapping', not
'transformation'. I don't think anyone is proposing to have a
normative XSLT, just provide a correct one.

BTW I'm not necessarily advocating that we do or do not make such an
XSLT. Haven't really made up my mind yet.

-Rinke

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands