RE: Proposal to resolve ISSUE-81

Hi Alan!

Alan Ruttenberg wrote on Wednesday, March 26:

>Based on your comment and some other conversation, perhaps a better
>choice is
>
>EquivalentClasses(ObjectIntersectionOf(ObjectOneOf(John)
>ObjectHasValue(hasMother  Mary)) owl:Nothing )
>
>This has a better parallel for NegativeDataPropertyAssertion, in that
>it can be valid OWL 1.0 DL. (no complement of oneOf(literal)
>in OWL 1.0)
>
>-Alan

But now another more practical point comes to my mind.

Negative property assertions in OWL-1.1, although only being syntactic sugar, allow ontology authors to express in an explicit form that a certain assertion is *not* expected to hold. Further, it might well be that explicit negative assertions will have computational advantages, when it comes to check for consistency.

I also want these advantages in RDF, not only in functional syntax. And for the aspect of semantical and computational complexity: The way you suggest to encode negative assertions requires a pretty bit of OWL language features (equivalence, intersection, nominals, restrictions, and owl:Nothing). I believe a small rulebased sublanguage of OWL-Full will easily be out of play here.

However, having an explicit representation for negative assertions would be more of a lightweight feature: If the rule reasoner brings up the triple "s p o", it can immediately see that an inconsistency has occurred, if the negative assertion "NOT(s p o)" is directly represented in the ontology.

Best,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe