Re: Nonstructural restrictions

On 27 Mar 2008, at 18:27, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:

>> From: "Marco Colombetti" <colombet@elet.polimi.it>
>> Date: March 26, 2008 12:11:47 PM EDT
>> To: <public-owl-dev@w3.org>
>> Subject: Nonstructural restrictions
>> >

>> Hi.
>>
>> In http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/owl_specification.html  “OWL 1.1
>> Web Ontology Language - Structural Specification and Functional-
>> Style Syntax - Editor's Draft of 23 May 2007”.
>>
>> in Section 7 “Nonstructural Restrictions on Axioms”,
>>
>> I find that:
>> Only simple object properties are allowed to occur in Ax in
>> ObjectMinCardinality, ObjectMaxCardinality, ObjectExactCardinality,
>> and ObjectExistsSelf classes, and
>> ObjectPropertyFunctional,
>> InverseFunctionalObjectProperty,ObjectPropertyIrreflexive,
>> ObjectPropertyAsymetric, andDisjointObjectProperty axioms.
>> I wonder whether composite properties should also be forbidden in
>> ObjectPropertyReflexiveaxioms, given that these are equivalent
>> toSubObjectPropertyOf(owl:Thing,ObjectExistsSelf(P)).

good question:  ObjectPropertyReflexive(P) for a non-simple/composite
property is ok. This might be a bit hard to see, but i will try to
explain. It is equivalent, as you say, to

SubClassOf(owl:thing, ObjectExistsSelf(P)),

but this is also ok: in principal, what is difficult for a composite
property, is

SubClassOf(AClass, ObjectAllValuesFrom(P AnotherClass)),

Ie, universal/all restrictions are difficult for them, but not
existential/some restrictions as in "ObjectExistSelf"....

  Cheers, Uli