RE: Proposal to resolve ISSUE-81

From: Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:51:31 -0000
To: "'Alan Ruttenberg'" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "'Web Ontology Language \(\(OWL\)\) Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Hello,

What do you mean exactly with "transformed into equivalent class assertion"?

I believe that OWL 1.1 DL should explicitly support negative property assertions at the functional-style and structural level:
omitting a construct just because RDF cannot deal with it easily sets a really bad precedent.

I do believe, however, that such a translation would be acceptable at the level of RDF mapping. We can think of whether we can use
hints such as the one that you suggest below to enable round-tripping. Even without round-tripping, I believe that such a solution
would be acceptable in practice: saving a negative object property assertion into RDF and reading it back would thus give you a
class assertion that has an equivalent semantics.

Regards,

	Boris