RE: proposal to close ISSUE-102

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:28:46 +0100
To: "Boris Motik" <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Hi Boris!

Boris Motik wrote:

>Hello,
>
>As for your first question, note that no OWL 1.1 ontology can
>consist solely of a property: ontologies consist of axioms, so there
>is no way for an ontology to contain an entity directly. An
>ontology can contain a declaration axiom for a property. Then, the
>translation of such an ontology into RDF would generate RDF triples.

It has been pointed out by Peter in a different mail that this topic is
already covered by ISSUE-89. What I want to add here is that I believe that
this is more than just a theoretical problem.

Imagine there is some "lightweight" OWL-1.0-DL ontology on the SemWeb, which
defines a bag of terms in the following way: For each term only its URI and
its "syntactical category" (whether it is a class, an object property, or a
data property) is determined. But no further semantic relationships between
these terms are specified, because the ontology's author does not need/want
such restricting information.

An example:

  ex:Person rdf:type owl:Class
  ex:Homepage rdf:type owl:Class

  ex:hasAuthor rdf:type owl:ObjectPropery
  ex:hasHomepage rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty
  ex:knowsPerson rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty

  ex:hasGivenName rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty
  ex:hasFamilyName rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty

As far as I understand, this RDF graph will be translated into an *empty*
Functional Syntax ontology by the OWL-1.1-DL RDF-to-FunctionalSyntax
mapping. Is this correct?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe