Re: ACTION-93 (Full semantics): Short report about current state

Michael,

thanks.

I was just wondering... maybe it would be helpful to add a more explicit
RDF syntax into the document. It may help the reader.

As an example, I looked at the sub property chain[1]; I guess what you
describe there as a possible syntax can be translated into RDF/XML and
turtle as:

<rdf:Description>
   <owl11:subObjectPropertyChain rdf:parseType="Collection">
     <rdf:Description rdf:about="#p1"/>
     <rdf:Description rdf:about="#p2"/>
     <rdf:Description rdf:about="#pn"/>
   </owl11:subObjectPropertyChain>
   <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="#q"/>
</rdf:Description>

[
   owl:subObjectPropertyChain (<#p1> <#p2> ... <#p3>);
   rdfs:subPropertyOf <#q>
].

which looks pretty intuitive to me syntax-wise...

By the way, on the very same page, you raise the possibility for an
alternative syntax, namely:

q owl11:subObjectPropertyChain ( p_1 ... p_n )

ie, in Turtle:

<#q> owl11:subObjectPropertyChain (<#p1> <#p2> ... <#pn>) .

At first glance this looks more compact but it might be
counter-intuitive. Indeed, we already have, from RDFS

<#a> rdfs:subPropertyOf <#b>

In the latter, <#a> is the 'sub' and <#b> is the 'super'. On the other
hand, in the syntax above, <#q> is the 'super' and, well, the chain is
the 'sub':-( This may lead to errors...

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/FullSemanticsSubPropertyChains

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/