Action-97 Proposal for User-facing documentation: OWL Cookbook

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:52:11 -0400
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I work with a lot of different small ontology efforts in biomedicine.
One of the comments I often get is that the documentation tells you
about OWL, but not about how to get stuff done with OWL, and that
there should be a cookbook of useful recipes for using OWL. For our
purposes, I see this as a series of vignettes showing how to write
OWL that does useful inference. Each would present a short summary of
the problem that is to be addressed, a small ontology that
accomplishes the task, as well as a bit saying how you know it worked
(e.g. SPARQL query against Pellet-backed Jena model). The vignettes
could come from various domains, and I would expect that they could
be drawn from experience of the WG participants own work. I have a
number that I have collected at http://svn.mumble.net:8080/svn/lsw/
trunk/owl/tests/ some of which I would be willing to write up as part
of this document (I would, of course, present them in a more standard
syntax)

-Alan