Re: General discussion for TC Wednesday

Alan-
  As I cannot attend this week's meeting (I'm on travel, out of the US
and unable to phone in), I'd like to give my opinion re:  the question
re: Manchester syntax (and other serializations) in the primer .  I
think we need to be careful on our choice of which syntactic
realizations to include.  There are at least another 4-5 RDF
serializations floating around out there that I know.  Some, like N3
and Ntriples, have some W3C legitimacy, some, are used in popular
tools (like the SWOOP notation), some are used in some other research
papers (I noticed 2-3 in various presentations at ISWC last year). .
Manchester has a somehat more mature realization than many of these,
but it is still defined in a document with only a draft syntax and no
publication status (i.e. copyright etc) [1].  In a previous email
thread it was pointed out that some of the OWL tools handle it, but
then most also handle N3 (which is more widely used) and SWOOP, for
example, has it's own which (and SWOOP is still highly used, despite
not being supported at the moment).
  My proposal would be that we need some specific criteria for what is
and is not used in the document. Once we have agreed to principles, we
can agree to which serializations to include -- I believe it is
important that the document include some discussion of that criterion
as well, so that we cannot be accused of arbitrarily choosing without
cause.
   -Jim H.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/ManchesterSyntax

On Mar 11, 2008, at 2:16 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> We will discuss steps towards our next working drafts. As we
> discussed at the teleconference last week, if you have time, please
> read the current documents that we are considering for working
> draft, and bring issues to the teleconference. As in the previous
> release, we need to know how we will handle disputes - are we
> comfortable marking them with editor notes, as previous, or are
> there any issues that must be resolved before publishing.
>
> - http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Primer
> - http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Fragments_Proposal
> - http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/XML_Serialization
>
> We would like to have two independent reviewers for each document.
> Please consider volunteering to be a reviewer for one or more
> document.
>
> An issue I know to be outstanding re: the Primer is the use of
> Manchester syntax. Please give some thought to whether you think
> this is a good or bad idea, and why and be prepared to defend your
> position.
>
> Agenda to follow tomorrow.
>
> -Alan

it?." - Albert Einstein