Re: ISSUE-100 (rdfall): Should there be valid OWL ontologies that can not be expressed in RDF

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2008, at 15:09, OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>
>> ISSUE-100 (rdfall): Should there be valid OWL ontologies that can not
>> be expressed in RDF
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>>
>> Raised by: Alan Ruttenberg
>> On product:
>>
>> There are apparently some OWL 1.0 ontologies that are not expressible
>> in RDF. This comes as a surprise to some, and I initially thought it a
>> bug. So the working group should resolve whether it is a design
>> principle of OWL that all OWL ontologies can be expressed in RDF, or not.
>
> Doesn't this confuse RDF with RDF/XML? RDF/XML cannot express all RDF
> graphs. Some of those graphs are OWL DL ontologies. Many more are OWL
> Full (and not OWL DL) ontologies. These can be expressed in RDF
> (evidently) but not in RDF/XML. OWL mappings to RDF (and RDF based
> semantics) have traditionally been defined in terms of *RDF graphs*, not
> RDF/XML. You get to an RDF/XML representation only indirectly (i.e., via
> an RDF graph).
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

I tend to agree with Bijan; his analysis could suggest that we should
reject the issue. OTOH I think the bar for rejecting issues, without
discussion, should be very high, but I would certainly be prepared to
concur with such a decision in this case.

Jeremy