Re: comment on the fragment document: (inverse) functional and DL-Lite

Ahh, I misunderstood - I think we need to be very clear on this - I
think some of us were assuming that the idea of the DB fragment was to
be able to represent something close to a DB schema and use it in
processing data from the DB (a la datalog/SQL type stuff) - sort of
like expressing an E/R model and then using it to make simple
inferences over the data.  Anyway, a lot of the project will be
correctly describing these fragments and their features.
  -JH

On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:26 PM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> Actually, the primary idea of DL-Lite is that it has logspace data
> complexity, which means that query answering can be implemented
> using standard (relational) DB technology. In particular, a
> conjunctive query against a DL-Lite ontology can be re-written as an
> SQL query against a relational DB containing instance data.
>
> Ian
>

> On 6 Mar 2008, at 19:23, Jim Hendler wrote:
>

>> I thought the primary idea of DL-Lite was that it would provide
>> primary database functionality -- how can it do that without keys?

>>> Let's see if I can discern from the text the situation. (As a test
>>> of the spec.)
>>>
>>> In section 3:
>>> 	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Fragments_Proposal#DL-Lite
>>>
>>> 	"""Several variants of DL-Lite have been described in the
>>> literature. The variant presented here is called DL-LiteR since it
>>> allows for property inclusion axioms; it therefore contains the
>>> intersection between RDFS and OWL 1.1 DL. Other variants trade
>>> property inclusion axioms for functionality and inverse-
>>> functionality of object properties."""
>>>
>>> I think this is clear that functionality and inverse functionality
>>> of *object* properties are forbidden.
>>>
>>> Actually ,the rest of the sections are quiet about data properties
>>> altogether. Which would mean that data properties are forbidden in
>>> this variant. Which means that it's not really the intersection of
>>> RDFS and OWL 1.1 DL?
>>>
>>> I do think that if we make this DL Lite not have data properties,
>>> the text should call that out (e.g., in the list of missing
>>> features). OTOH, I think we should allow data properties ;) I
>>> would think it would be ok to trade datasubproperties for keys
>>> (from a user pov)...I don't know if that would be ok from the
>>> logic/impelmentation pov off the top of my had (while retaining
>>> object subproperties).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bijan.
>>>

>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
>> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

it?." - Albert Einstein